Why Should I Consider A Major in Philosophy?
One of the essential decision making points of a person’s life would be its late high school years, until the start of their career. The decisions that you would be making for this matter simply affect the journey of your life and certainly, the main point that would be molding your life for the future years. One of the highly influential decisions for these years is by choosing your major. These days, before starting the procedure, you would be admitting that you have a bias in a favor of taking philosophy major. The only thing is that, a bias is grounded into reasons you believe.
Now, people are living into a fast changing society. It is something that people must adopt on necessarily. The age of research information, effective communication as well as reasoning had then started. The industrial age of the repetitive machinery had then passed. With such, the liberal arts as well as science, which most of the colleges are do not merely train for the certain jobs. It is actually contrary upon the famous opinion. Thus, they would be giving you some sort of versatile skills that are somewhat valuable for a number of careers, with the majors that simply merging such skills using their technical ability. Having major in philosophy, unlike the other majors does not simply merge skills in similar way. They even specialize in learning the versatile skills in-depth that result in them being into different paths of career.
At first, having a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy only provides no sort of practical application into the reality. Eventually, you would not be receiving any sort of training that could surely lead into a job are needed to read up the esoteric texts and would never arrive into the appropriate answer. Therefore, why would be colleges as well as universities struggling out in order to keep up with greater demands coming from students who would like to take up both of courses and a philosophy major? If you are one of those who are thinking why you should consider a major in Philosophy, then here are some of the things for you:
- Critical reading- for a non-critical reading, the texts would only be provided by facts. With such, readers could then gain the knowledge by only memorizing the statements within the text. For critical reading, a single text will be provided, yet there will be a portrayal of the facts and one take on the subject matter of a person. The critical readers will then recognize not only what the text says, but also on how that text would be portraying the subject matter. They then recognize different ways that each text is a unique creation of a certain author. If you consider Philosophy major, you would have the idea of reading books, magazine, newspaper and more in a critical manner.
- Writing- at some point, you thought that you could write well. Actually, it is not the point here. You may already know more about English, yet this one is such a queer language. You may have already thought that your letter or report is a good one. Yet, in the eye of a philosopher, he or she may saw some sort of lapses that would bring you down. Well, if you consider getting a major in Philosophy, you would be able to know how to write well, be it an email, letter, report, a professional blog or even a living will. Keep in mind, letter and words aren’t enough to express philosophy. There are hidden messages behind it.
- Debate and speaking skills- if you love debates, you could surely enhance your skills for it by taking major in Philosophy. It will help you to think and talk critically. Defending something would not work well, if you were only talking about nonsense matters. Well, with Philosophy, your skills would be enhanced, making you talk as if you already are a professional and be able to defense your side. Apart from those, if you have the doubts upon yourself, like you could not talk in front of a large audience, then you would be able to face it for consider a major in Philosophy.
- Make an impromptu arguments as well as analysis- it is definitely the best skill for businesses all the time. At some point, one person thinks that he is superior to the other one, for the reason that he could dominate the opposite, since he could not give out impromptu arguments and find it hard to analyze things. Well, if you would like to learn how to do such thing or rather enhance your skills, then taking a major in Philosophy now would be ideal.
- Configure the ethics- with this subject, you would have the idea about what’s right or wrong and be able to identify different types of people as well as culture. This is certainly a critical thing for the modernized workforce.
- Logic application- well, philosophy would never be philosophy if logic were not present. Do you find senators, course instructors and newscasters talking logically? Are you amazed about how they could utter words with sense, hitting a person to another? Well, it is logic. Logic means critical thinking. It doesn’t mean that you must be very good in all subjects. This is for the reason that it is only a matter of how you think. Solving problems would be less a problematic thing for you, as you can surely solve it alone.
- Strategic thinking- it simply goes well with the application of logic in every problem. With strategic thinking, you are able to see the big picture of the problem, making you solve it in an appropriate way. Thus, you would not be having any regrets about the outcome of your solution.
Philosophy is definitely a degree that would train you to be pretty well into the workforce by simply being able to adapt into any kind of situation. IT even provides excellent training for the professional degree.